Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Mind Your Language!

My family’s multi-lingual
And it makes them very proud
My father unabashedly
Recites French verse aloud
Mother is competitive
Will not accept defeat
She shows off her shayaris
Quite an awesome feat!
Aunty Chen and Lily
Come from exotic lands
As fluently as they speak
The rest, ‘pretend’ to understand
My brother speaks Swahili
Or so, he highly claims
And everyone’s impressed
As he reels off abusive names
Watching from the sidelines
I stand up, all of three
Muttering much gibberish
I’m the pride of the family!

11 comments:

Sue hardy-Dawson said...

Excelent poem, very very funny, if not also modest considering your bi-linguil skills. Look here I can't even spell in my own language!!

Russell CJ Duffy said...

ha ha ha, you and me both!

Karthik Narayan said...

hiyaa.. how u doing.. thanks for visiting my blog....

Manish Bhatt said...

Oh hey, thanks for visiting my blog and commenting. I didn't know anyone was still around.

Ire said...

hey!!hows u?
Nice poem. I also liked the animal kingdom one.

Anonymous said...

nickle - wussup? how u been? that's a funny poem - really liked it!

Sue hardy-Dawson said...

Have you also been abducted-look into the light-into the light

bugs.honey and some said...

really nice as usual ..but wen r u updating???

Shubhodeep said...

nice...n funny... as usual(if i might add!!)

Pat Paulk said...

I still gibber jabber on some over served nights. Excellent!!

Roger Stevens said...

My hamster speaks in hamsterish
With munchels and with groans
We've a ghost who speaks in shadow
Which sounds like crunching bones
My computer speaks in numbers
Only understood by nerds
But your poem speaks direct to me -
and I'm at a loss for words...

Hope you're well. Good to see you're still writing poems.