Saturday, July 23, 2005

The Teacher

The foreigners have come from a land where all people are beautiful. They have blue eyes so deep, like the ocean and golden hair, so soft you cannot help but want to stroke it. Our teacher is one of them, but now, she has lived away from her home for so many years, that she says she is "Indian". She tells us about great thinkers who spoke out for "Liberty, Equality and Fraternity". Then, she begins to talk about the struggle, our "fight" for freedom. She tells us that we should not need to fight for it because it is a human right. She supports the moderates.

Big words, our teacher speaks out from our textbooks. We do not understand most of them, but her expressions tell a story of their own. “What is that?”, asks a young boy, “What is freedom?”. Our teacher does not answer him, but instead looks away with a lost look in her eyes, as if cherishing her own thoughts as a hint of a smile comes over her pretty face. Then she tells us that the imperialists will take the loot, convert all of us to Christianity by force and like lambs we will comply, because we must remember our place in society. She begins to cry as she shakes her head and tells us “Our battle is far from over”.
Maya offers her a handkerchief, but she shuns it. “Do you know that because you have bought their foreign cloth, your father is out of work? You should be ashamed of yourself.” She tells us to be proud of our countrymen, of our heritage and of what is rightfully ours. She tells us that the days ahead will be full of misery and despair and that through it all, we must be strong for each other and carry hope within our hearts because without hope, there is nothing.

Ravi’s father pulled him out of school to work in the fields. “It is useless nonsense” he muttered, when Ravi asked him what freedom was”. “Is that what you are learning in this English medium school of yours? In that case, you might as well make yourself useful and learn a trade that will get you on in the world. There is a new factory coming up a few kilometers away and they will certainly be able to exploit your nimble hands over there and earn us a few rupees. And keep your smart mouth shut and don’t ask silly questions like this to your bosses, else you’ll be turned out like all the rest of them fools”
Lucky fell terribly ill, there was no money to go to a doctor or to buy medicines for his illness and so he stayed at home, everyday growing weaker and more lifeless. Some of the boys would escape from the pressures of home and on the pretext of going to school, jump into the lake or make mischief with the other lads, sometimes stealing sweets from the grocery store, to satisfy their cravings.

And this is how, one by one, so many children left the school that by the end of the year, we were just four of us left on those dusty benches.
My teacher asked me to promise her that I would become a teacher when I grew up. She was going away, to live in another colony where her husband had been posted. She gave me her old diary, which had a few unused pages left in it and she told me to practice my maths in that. “I want to become just like you”, I told her one day. And she told me to study well and make her proud. I promised her that I would.

15 comments:

Sameer said...

I am touched..
Definitely thought-provoking stuff, though I found it, at times, a bit too idealistic.But then,it's in the womb of idealism that pragmatism ultimately bears fruit (or so I think..).You know what, this has just given me a few ideas of my own.Most probably, I will come up with a post of my own on this theme.

Pincushion said...

Ahhh..youth! Your words fill me with the hope..that there's still hope in the world..that not all human kind is cynical and selfish...
This makes me so glad!

Misreflection said...

:), and I'm sure you would.

Sue hardy-Dawson said...

You caught me unawares with this, and freedom is hard to define, naturally children here who are required to go to school by the government play truent, yet I saw a documentry about a school in Africa where children were turned away at the door because their parents could not afford the fees (6 weeks wages £20) and were breaking into the school hiding and scaling the fence. Your story made me think. Beautifully done as always. You can never be too idealistic untill you become a synic, avoid it for as long as possible

Neel said...

This is a beautiful story. It seems to haunt back to an earlier time, but perhaps it is more recent than it seems. Many of us have jaded views of the world and we fail to see the good no matter where we are.

Keep writing, you have a gift. If you do decide to become a teacher, your pupils will be very blessed for the gifts that you can pass on to them.

Sue hardy-Dawson said...

Nicole your last comment on my blog gave me an idea for a poem which I posted thank-you

Anonymous said...

is this a true story or an anecdote? in any case it was a lovely read..perhaps idealistic but then where would this world be without the idealists and dreamers...ennjoyed reading this and reflecting about this...

Jim said...

Nicole,
gott attracted to u coz my wife was a Braganza to
until i married her

How she hates me for dat !

iamnasra said...

Im speechless...Im not so much in reading a story but this one took my sleep away...I breathed into each word of this remarkable story...

Thank you so much for sharing it with us ..Im truely amazed

gulnaz said...

you would make a wonderful teacher, compassionate, intelligent and eager. it really is sad how even basic education is not a guarantee here.

aa said...

What makes me sad is the fact that stories like this happen everyday.

Russell CJ Duffy said...

nicole that is simply fabulous. so engaging and compelling and so beautifully idealistic. ideals are the codes we live by. bigger than us. bigger than religion. more power to you for so elegantly and elequently phrasing it.

. : A : . said...

Beautiful story. There is always an inspiring teacher in everyones life.

Nicole Braganza said...

Sameer-> I'm assuming your new post must be up by now. I will check pronto!

Pins-> Im glad that you were infused with hope. That is all we live by at times.

Missy-> Not everyone can be a teacher. I cannot see myself in that place, quite frankly. But hats off to all educators. They are indeed great people.

Sue-> I agree. One needs to visit a third world country to see how there are still such dedicated teachers who do miracles with almost nil resources. In villages, classes are often held out in the fields because there is no provision of a classroom.

Neel-> While I cannot see myself becoming a teacher, I agree that we are all blessed to have been taught by such dedicated and commited teachers.

Anil-> This is fictional, though based on a haunting reality as Im sure you understand what I mean.

Saby-> ;)

Nasra-> I think your writing is wonderful too.

Gulnaz-> Thank you for those adulatory words. I fear that I feel I am inadequate to be a teacher but since so many of you suggest it, should I be rethinking my career options??

CJ-> And you said it so well, yourself. Off to your blog in a bit :)

A - Always

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.