Wednesday, May 25, 2005

The Legacy of The Braganza's

Braganza & Co. that now stands proud on Marquis street, Kolkatta has risen from humble beginnings. Today, it is the primary music store in the city and true to its slogan, “Everything Musical” is a dealer of pianos, electric and acoustic guitars, drum sets, manuscript books and a host of other music related paraphernalia.
It is interesting to go back in time, re-live the days that put this enterprise in operation and more importantly the people who were behind it all. It all began when Francis and Thomas Braganza, an amazing partnership of brothers invested in a venture that they could only dream would become as huge a success as they witnessed later in life.

Already, musicians in several bands, Francis a drummer and Thomas a saxophonist would play several nights a week at clubs in the city. The profession was certainly not “paying” and compelled by the needs of growing families, the two brothers realized the necessity of an additional source of income. The owner of the music store where they were employed part-time, was handing over his business to his own son and so the Braganza brothers did what they only knew best- set up a music business of their own. They began by buying old pianos, refurnishing and repairing them and then renting them out. With the beginning of the world war, the demand for musical instruments, from British soldiers only grew. Also, distress sales of instruments owned by many British families helped the brothers to set up shop. Thomas was quick to learn the technical operations of the musical instruments and taught the trade to a few other employees. Francis, the naturally charismatic, people-loving person was equivalent to an entire marketing team! And this is what was so utterly mesmerizing about the partnership. In their starkly different personalities, the brothers complimented each other and together saw the business grow before their eyes. Having taken off to good start, the income from the business went toward buying a small plot of land on 1/6 Collin Lane where now stands tall, “The Braganza Building”. A flat was built for each of the two brothers and their families and later a second floor was added. This enabled them to move out of the small place at 5 Collin lane where they were formerly residing as paying guests.

Is this another remarkable rags to riches story? Undeniably. As I recall my grandfather, Francis Xavier Braganza tell stories of his childhood, it only re-instates the admiration that I feel for him. He told us of how he was adopted by an uncle, taken away from his home in Goa, to live in Rangoon after his father died. At the age of 9 or 10, an earthquake forced them to flee to Calcutta and this is where he made his life, ever since. Money was short and hardly enough to go around for little luxuries like a “haircut”. He would have his hair finely cropped so that it would see him through the next few months. His pants were made a size too large, so that he would not outgrow them quickly. Yes, it is these little sacrifices that made him a man of character. And a man who will be remembered for his determination, sincerity and goodwill.

Today, Braganza & Co. has passed into the hands of the next generation. Music is in the blood and it is a tradition, that every Braganza must learn a musical instrument. Thus, with music in our hearts and in our souls we carry with pride, the Braganza name.

16 comments:

Pincushion said...

What an interesting story and made all the more powerful by the fact that it is real! I loved this peek into esteemed lives. You are indeed blessed to be born in that family :)!
Thanks for droppin by at my blog! You'll see me around often :)
...btw..loved the name of the blog..reminds me of all things beautiful and nostalgic...
cheers!

anumita said...

Lovely! Lucky you to be part of this family!
Taking in your profile I realize I was, all that you are, at your age.

Russell CJ Duffy said...

This is fantastic luv, a truly captivating story and of your family as well. I have always had a passion for music and would love to have grown up in such a family. I guess you all must, from time to time, sit down and jam. What a great scene that must be.

Nicole Braganza said...

Pincushion -> Thanks for that. My grandfather was an amazing person.
You have a wonderful writing style and I shall look forward to your comments :)

S&R -> Yes, you must visit the store if you happen to be in Cal. Sadly, my grandfather has passed away. His memory and his work lives on...
Oh, and I play the piano.

Anumita - Yes, I do feel so proud to be a part of the Braganza family. If you were just like me, Im sure you're a wonderful person. Ha ha! ;)

CJ -> We have had some pretty awesome jamming sessions! Yeah..great fun!

Misreflection said...

Lovely, music in your hearts and souls, what could be better.Btw Nice to see you.. beautiful picture , hey but you're grown quickly ( from your last picture ) ;) ;)

gulnaz said...

loved reading that nikki. a talent for both music and business, wow!!! you really are blessed to be born to them, girl. loved the affection and admiration in your words!
post that stuff about the birthdate. :)

isnt the title from that song fom sound of music...bright copper kettles and warm woollen mittens...remember singing it in school, the copper kettles was my favourite part, i love kettles.

Nicole Braganza said...

Missy - I'm all grown up (well, almost) and have ALSO shed a lot of baby fat ;) Thanks for your sweet comment.

Gulnaz - He truly was a self-made man and that is what I admire the most. Yes, my blog title is from the song "My Favourite Things" from the Sound of Music. Julie Andrews was just wonderful!!!

Finnegan - The story of my maternal grandparents is equally interesting. Im still trying to get some exact dates in place...my grandmother will help, perhaps! :)

Roger Stevens said...

That would make the basis for a great novel. Or a film. And very well written - you could write it.

So, what kind of piano do you play?

Shubhodeep said...

awesome history...really cool...must be quite humbling to be born into a family as illustrious as this.

this reminded of something even i could write about(my grandfather, a teacher, taught famous people like Vikram Seth, Amitav Ghosh, Prannoy Roy, Rajiv Gandhi etc. and was actively involved in the freedom struggle)

(I was disappointed you didn't comment on the short story-seems as if the poem overshadowed the main story-should I remove it?)

Nicole Braganza said...

Roger - Now theres a great idea...
I play acoustic piano - Pop/jazz

Shubhodeep - My coment on your blog! And you really should write about your grandfather...It must have been amazing to teach Vikram Seth, Prannoy Roy! Wow...

BBCD said...

Wow was a wonderful story, thanks for sharing that hun it brightened up my afternoon :o)

thoughts said...

Hey am based out of Cal when in India.. will def make a point to visit 'Everything Musical' .. gr8 inspirational story !

Neel said...

What a beautiful and captivating story.

Perhaps you, Roger and I can start a band, I play guitar and sing.

My father is from Calcutta, I will be sure to stop by the store the next time I visit (in February I think).

Nicole Braganza said...

BBCD -> You're welcome. And I look forward to more "auntie" stories from you! :)

thoughts - Please do visit Braganza & Co. !! Thank you

Neel Sen -> Now forming a band sounds a lil ambitious on my part, given that I'm not the greatest pianist!! But hey, lets jam anytime!! I do hope you will visit the shop.

Anonymous said...

I don't BELIEVE this post!

Your cousins Anita and Linda had the bad luck to be my piano teachers, poor things! And Francis taught my sister the guitar.

Please mail me at kahini.roy@gmail.com, we GOTTA catch up, DYING to know what's happening with Anita and Linda.

Kahini

Nicole Braganza said...

Kahini -> Oh my god! What a small world we live in! Anita, Linda and Franz are actually my dads cousins. Will send you a mail with their e-mail addresses so you can get in touch! They would be so happy. Thanks :)