Monday, May 23, 2005

Nonsense Verse


SING SANG SONG
(a tribute to Spike Milligan)

At the sing sang song
Where the words go wrong
And the audience all go BOO!
There’s a song sang sing
It’s a teacher’s thing
Where they all go jibber jabber joo
At the song sing sang
All the students bang
On the piano, till spanked blue
So its sing sang song
Words go wrong
Song sang sing
Teacher’s thing
Song sing sang
Students bang
A raucous squeal of a song
It’s the sing sang sing sang song!


THE SAD DEMISE OF THE VEGETABLE

I lost my head the lettuce said
A bounteous mop of green
And someone even spilled
An agitated string of beans
Then Potato lost an eye
And Corn Cob lost an ear
A pink and sentimental onion
Shed a lonesome tear
A mushy heart of artichoke
Welled up with such compassion
A hand of bananas was chopped off
In such a ruthless fashion
No rib of celery was spared
No neck of squash released
And sad to say, this was the way
The vegetables deceased.

14 comments:

Adrian Neibauer said...

You're invited:

http://undiscoveredpoems.blogspot.com

I absolutely love your sing sang song poem. It is very Shel Silverstein. Would you mind terribly if I use it in my class? I teach elementary students and I would love to use it as an example of nonsensical verse and how musical it can be.

Also, your vegetable poem is very clever.

Ostrich said...

Nice work! Thanks for stopping by my blog. would like to see you thereabouts more often.

Jugular Bean said...

Awzum! They're both Awzum!

J said...

i think ur poetry simply rocks!!!

Nicole Braganza said...

Stan -> Thank you. Please do use it for your elementary students. I would be so honoured! :)

Ostrich -> Thanks for stopping by. You'll see me around.

Jugular Bean, J -> Merci! Come again.

Shubhodeep said...

smooth and lovely...

Russell CJ Duffy said...

spike was a genius and i am sure would have laughed his socks off at these two funny poems.

Hirdu said...

Impressive !!

Nicole Braganza said...

Shubhodeep, CJ -> Thanks for your appreciation.

Hirdu - Welcome to my blog. Come again :)

gulnaz said...

those made me smile. :)
thanks and hey love the new pic.;)

Nicole Braganza said...

Gulnaz - Glad you enjoyed my nonsense verse. And very flattered that you like my new pic :)

Finnegan - Thanks so much. Btw, I think the latest pic on your blog is awesome!

Neel said...

These would be wonderful for a children's book, are you thinking of writing one?

Misreflection said...

I'm late in reading this one, indeed working and finding the time to blog can be a little hard to handle sometimes, glad I read this one though, its fun , witty and cleaver. well done..

Nicole Braganza said...

Finnegan -> B R I L L I A N T !

Neel Sen -> I would love to write a childrens book someday!

Missy - ...and you found the time to come by here AND comment. That's very kind of you :)